Thursday 24 February 2011

Re-motivated...

It has been a very long time, too long in fact, since I have made the time to do some blogging...


I have decided that this is very lax of me and this must change...


To that end I have taken steps to get a decent test environment up and running so that I can try out the growing portfolio of virtualisation products and tools. With VMware, Microsoft and Citrix now all providing numerous virtualisation products, from Type 1 and Type 2 hypervisors, VDI solutions and application virtualisation there is plenty to keep me interested. I have decided to start the new posts with the Microsoft Virtualisation product line.


The test server I decided to use is a HP Microserver, this fit my goals:




  • Reasonable specs to run enough virtual machines (Dual Core AMD processor & maxed out to 8GB of RAM)

  • Internal Storage - the plan is to get shared storage later on, but for now local storage met my cost requirements

  • Talking of cost requirements, I wanted the server to not impact my bank balance too much

I have been very impressed with the server so far. It is very quiet, Microsoft Windows 2008 R2 installed with no issues at all and I have VMs up and running in a very short time frame.

So now I have my environment up and running more posts will follow :)


No comments: